Ticks and other pests are an annoyance at best but can be quickly become very dangerous if they are infected with Lyme Disease and bite you or a loved one. Lyme Disease can be silent at first, then come on quickly so it is important not only to be aware of the symptoms of Lyme Disease, but also how it can be prevented in the first place.
Lyme Disease and Pests
Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection you can get from being bit by an infected pest. It is relatively common in the United States and can be treated effectively if caught early. However, the symptoms can be pretty scary and if Lyme Disease is not caught early, it can cause major problems over the course of several months or years. One of the first symptoms is often a red rash around the bite site, which often looks like a bull’s eye. However, this tell-tale rash is not always present. Early symptoms can also include fever, headache, fatigue, joint pain and swollen lymph nodes.
Here are a few other facts about Lyme Disease that you should be aware of:
- While most commonly infected by ticks, you could be infected by Lyme Disease due to several pest bites, including mosquitos, fleas, spiders, mites and biting flies.
- Lyme disease has been diagnosed in every state in the United States.
- It is the fastest growing infectious bacterial infection in the U.S.
- You can be affected by Lyme Disease regardless of how long the tick or other pest stays attached to you.
- Only about half of Lyme Disease sufferers recall a rash or bite.
- If antibiotics are not taken for a long enough time period, the Lyme Disease can remain in your system and cause relapse.
- Tick larva are as small as a poppy seed.
IPM and Pest Prevention
If your property is located near a wooded area, you are more likely to deal with ticks, some of which could carry Lyme Disease. However, ticks can reside anywhere, including lawns and yards. The best way to prevent contracting Lyme Disease, is to prevent tick bites in the first place. At Peachtree Pest Control, we offer Integrated Pest Management (IPM) services to prevent, control and eradicate pests on your property. We understand that many people don’t want to worry about heavy chemicals and pesticides lingering around their property, which is why we use IPM techniques to address the issue.
The Peachtree Promise
Our highest priority at Peachtree Pest Control is to help ensure the safety of your home, property and loved ones by helping to eradicate ticks and other pests. We believe in educating our customers to make informed decisions, always being available and offering personalized services unique to your individual needs. We will not rest until we know that you are completely reassured and satisfied with our service. That’s the Peachtree Promise.