Spring Checklist for Routine Pest Control and Carefree Summers
As the days get longer and warm weather approaches, you and your family are probably looking forward to outdoor entertaining or chilling by the pool. Take a look around. Is your home ready for summer’s easy living, or do you have work to do? Maybe the siding or deck look a little dingy, and the yard could use some TLC. There may be problems you can’t see, too: spring is termite swarm season in the Southeast.
Early spring is a great time to check those cleaning and maintenance chores off your to-do list. You’ll not only ensure your family and friends won’t be pestered by nuisance insects, you’ll be proud to show off your smart-looking home and beautiful landscaping.
You may be asking similar questions if you run a business. Are your buildings and landscaping in great shape for summer traffic? Have you addressed potential sources of insect or rodent infestation?
Whether own a business a home, here’s a checklist you should consider each year to keep your property clean, safe and pest-free.
Take care of the exterior, including brick and vinyl siding, gutters, roofs, decks, fences, patios, driveways, etc.
- Consider pressure washing to remove mildew, dirt and insect nests and restore surfaces to a fresh, clean look. Pressure washing can also remove loose paint and stains if a new coat is required. Peachtree Pest Control offers complete outdoor cleaning services. Because every home and business is different, our trained technicians will select the right cleaning methods and products to protect your property and the environment.
- Look for and repair torn screens, broken windows, gaps around windows and doors, or other potential entry points for birds, animals and insects.
- Inspect the crawl space for excessive moisture and ensure it is properly ventilated.
- Conduct a thorough sweep for conditions conducive to termites and take corrective action, including calling an exterminator immediately if you see signs of an infestation.
Clean up the yard and look for trouble spots.
- Remove or correct sources of standing water such as gutters and bird baths where disease-carrying mosquitos and other insects can breed.
- Take care of your grass. Look for signs of insect or animal damage and check that the soil is loose and aerated. Treat and overseed as necessary. Peachtree’s Comprehensive Turf Care plan can address both these issues, resulting in a healthy, luxurious lawn.
- Trim ornamentals and check for signs of trouble. Insects, disease and soil deficiencies could be undermining your hard work in the yard. If you suspect a problem, don’t wait to get a professional opinion. Our lawn care services have you covered there, too.
- Ensure mulch does not contact your home or buildings and is not piled against trees or shrubs. Mulch is organic. It gets hot and moist inside that pile, an environment favored by many insects you do not want invading your home—including termites!
- Remove clutter. Clear out piles of wood, tree or shrub trimmings, and any junk that may have accumulated around your home. Clutter attracts unwanted guests such as spiders, rodents and snakes.
- Maintain some distance between your house and plantings as they can be a bridge for critters and lead to mold and mildew. Pick up under trees to keep the yard tidy—especially fallen fruit, which attracts ants and other insects.
Spring clean indoors, too.
- Cleanliness is the best defense again pests. Aside from regular cleaning, don’t let your attic, basement or garage fill up with items you don’t need or use. Materials such as cardboard or paper, cushion stuffing and straw make great nesting material for mice and birds.
- Check your kitchen cabinets for expired or spilled foods that might attract ants, roaches or rodents. Be sure to keep dog and cat food in secure containers.
Call a professional.
- You can handle of many of these chores on your own, but for some, you’ll want a professional. One of the best things you can do for your business or home is know what you’re up against. At Peachtree Pest Control, educating our customers is one of our guiding values. We want you to make informed, safe, and cost-efficient decisions that are right for you.
Our comprehensive services include:
Contact us to schedule a free inspection today!
To learn more about our pressure washing services or to schedule an appointment, give us a call or fill out the form below.